Inspired by the local transmitting power of traditional pirate radio, NYU art professor David Darts created the PirateBox, a WiFi hotspot and server providing easy and anonymous access to the files held within.

8 comments on “PirateBox: considering the pressure currently being applied to university students by record labels and their anti-piracy partners, the chances of music-stuffed PirateBoxes popping up on campuses all around the world increases every day.
  1. gold bullet says:

Silly copyright cartel. You can’t beat the Pirates! ;-) :lol:

2. chris m says:

Wicked!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. sam says:

they’re fighting a losing battle. the harder they squeeze, the more revenue will slip through their fingers…

4. za-goat says:

just to spread the info, I thought it could make an headline here:

Quote from Lester Chambers:

I AM the former Lead Singer of a 60’s BAND. I performed before thousands at Atlanta Pop 2, Miami Pop, Newport Pop, Atlantic Pop. I did NOT squander my money on drugs or a fancy home. I went from 1967-1994 before I saw my first Royalty Check.

The Music Giants I recorded with only paid me for 7 of my Albums.

I have NEVER seen a penny in Royalties from my other 10 Albums I recorded. Our Hit Song was licensed to over 100 Films, T.V. & Commercials WITHOUT our permission. One Major TV Network used our song for a national Commercial and my payment was $625. dollars. I am now 72, trying to live on $1200 a month. Sweet Relief, a music charity is taking donations for me.

Only the 1% of Artist can afford to sue.

I AM THE 99%

5. Sue Donym says:

This video needs an audio explanation of what’s going on.

6. Al Kyder says:

@ Gold Bullet

YAY me hearties,

I love this thing, Look at that OS GUI, gorgeous, go Linux

I want one ☠

7. Harry says:

I found that the the TP-LINK TL-MR3020 is cheap, even in Europe. I’m oldskool and not so into wifi but I like the idea very much..!